Luau Party Ideas
By Lynn Lopez
In summertime everyone takes the covers off of their barbecue grills and fires up some steaks, burgers, and hotdogs to celebrate in the sunshine. You, on the other hand, might want to do something a little more special. So why not have a luau-themed party right in your backyard? It will give everyone a chance to dress up and have a lot of fun.
Here are a few tricks to make your summer luau complete.
- Put up tiki torches around the party venue. Alternatively, you can string up some lanterns with tropical and festive designs to add some color and place some on the ground as well. Make sure you use citronella candles to keep the bugs away.
- You can set up a hammock a short distance away from where all the action is taking place.
- The buffet table can be decorated with grass table skirting.
- For each table, have a centerpiece made up of candles and flowers.
- Get plates with tropical patterns.
- You can rent a little dock or a pier to place at the entrance to your backyard with a big sign welcoming people to the luau. It also makes a perfect spot for pictures. You can position this makeshift pier near the swimming pool as well, if you have one.
- Float a couple of beach balls in your pool.
- You can play some summery pop tunes, or go classic with The Beach Boys.
- Go traditional with some Hawaiian or tropical music with plenty of steel drums and ukuleles.
- For a family party, go easy on the alcoholic beverages and stick with fruit cocktails. You canít go wrong with mai tais, piŮa coladas, and banana daiquiris. You can also serve lots of fresh fruit shakes, iced tea, and lemonade.
- Donít skimp on the fruit. Have a fruit platter with mandarin oranges, orange slices, pineapple cubes, chopped bananas, grapes, and apples. You can also use these in a big fruit salad.
- For your meats, you can grill some kebabs and roast some chickens as well.
- Donít forget the seafood. You can prepare some shrimp cocktails, grill salmon, and serve crabs and lobsters.
- Have the men come in Hawaiian shirts with bright prints and short while the women can put on grass skirts over their shorts.
- You could also make artificial leis for everyone to wear.
Adult Party Ideas
- Give little kids a chance to have fun and set up a small play area for them. This can have a small inflatable pool and a sandbox where they can build sandcastles.
- Start a conga line.
- A limbo contest will definitely get everyone going.
- You can hire a hula dance instructor for a couple of hours to give some quick and fun lessons to your willing guests.